United, We Can
Building a strong community where all people can thrive depends on your generous support.
Moira's Message: Our Innovation in a Rapidly Changing WorldHere are some examples of our work when it comes innovating programs and systems.
Dear United Way friends,
Our discussion around United Way of Greater Cincinnati’s work over the past year continues today with a look at a third strategy we implemented: innovating programs and systems to respond to a rapidly changing world.
Here is a look at our impact numbers in this area:
Here are some examples of our work:
- This initiative, aimed at building power and positive outcomes within the Black community, launched an equity-focused grant-making project called Black Empowerment Works in 2020. Seven Champions of Change volunteers designed Black Empowerment Works and 23 volunteers helped review and select grantees. This resulted in $600,000 invested in Black-Led ideas and efforts, with 28 Black-Led efforts receiving funding (Watch the video on YouTube).
BRIDGING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE
- United Way worked to mitigate the isolating impact of COVID-19 as people had to social distance and everyday activities shifted online. This required quick innovations to meet immediate needs because school children, senior citizens and others were isolated and disconnected. Our work included:
- The Northern Kentucky Digital Equity Initiative mobilized $372,000 from individual, foundation and corporate investors to connect 3,700 students across 16 school districts with internet access.
- Nearly 900 volunteers provided Notes of Encouragement to nearly 20,000 older adults across the Greater Cincinnati region.
- 211 connect those without internet access to vaccine information, scheduling and transportation.
I hope you feel gratified reading about the positive change we create together. Soon we will talk about our plan for the future.
United Way of Greater Cincinnati
United, We CanBuilding a strong community where all people can thrive depends on your generous support.
Get the Latest News & Updates
Sign up for our emails and stay informed about how we work with partners and supporters like you to strengthen our community.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.