BLACK EMPOWERMENT WORKS GRANTS
The application window for 2021 is now closed. Recipients will be announced on August 27, 2021.
United, We Can
Building a strong community where all people can thrive depends on your generous support.
2021 Application window Now closed
The application window is now closed. Thank you to all who have applied. Applications are currently being reviewed by our reviewing committee. Grant recipients will be announced on August 27, 2021. Thanks to all who applied to be a reviewer and the best of luck to all who applied!
Sign up for updates!
To receive future announcements regarding Black Empowerment Works and other United Way updates, visit uwgc.org/subscribe.
What is the application process?
Each year, we seek to fund a diverse portfolio of ideas and programs, representing different focus areas, organizational structures, and communities. This grant opportunity is open to nonprofit organizations, for-profits/social enterprises, community coalitions and groups, and individuals who meet the eligibility requirements. Applicants may only submit one application per year, with request amounts ranging from $2,500 to $25,000.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE FUNDS?
To be considered for funding, your organization/work must meet the following requirements:
- 60% of the leadership team identifies as Black. If applicable, at least 50% of the Board identifies as Black.
- The work intentionally contributes to advancing the wellbeing of Black folks.
- The work is rooted in or owned by the community, building change from the ground up.
- The work is developed or informed by those most connected to and affected by the issue being addressed.
- The work addresses a community need, opportunity, or challenge.
- The work contributes to the vitality of the community rather than benefiting any private individual, group, or business.
- You are intentionally focused on providing programming, support, or services to people or communities with limited access to resources.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Grant applicant creates an account in the online portal & completes the eligibility survey. (Deadline: July 8 at 10 p.m.)
If deemed eligible, the applicant completes the full application form. (Deadline: July 8 at 11:59 p.m.)
Community reviewers read & evaluate the applications in teams. (July 16-July 30)
Reviewers hold 30-minute conversations with applicants to lear more about their work. (August 2-August13)
Reviewers make decisions using the written application and conversation information. (August 16-August 23)
Applicants receive individual communications about the reviewers' investment decisions. (August 24)
BLACK EMPOWERMENT WORKS IN THE NEWS
- United Way seeks to fund more Black-led programs after awarding $600K in 2020 | Cincinnati Business Courier
- Local group gets a grant to launch HUSTLE Academy | Local 12
- United Way awards $600,000 to projects led by black entrepreneurs | Cincinnati Business Courier
- Black-led Businesses Awarded For Bringing Change To The Community | WVXU
- Thumbs up: United Way grants boost Black entrepreneurs | Cincinnati Enquirer
For more information, contact:
Jena BradleySenior Manager, Community Impact 513-762-7118 | email@example.com Email
Jena joined the United Way of Greater Cincinnati in 2014 and her passion exists at the intersection of public good, storytelling, and reallocating power. She believes that everyone has the ability to create positive change, but not everyone has equal access to the resources to do it; she wants to help change that. For questions about the Black Led Social Change program and any subsidiaries, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 513-762-7118.
Get the Latest News & Updates
Sign up for our emails and stay informed about how we work with partners and supporters like you to strengthen our community.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.