Last year, thanks to the work of more than 753 volunteers, more than 19,800 tax returns were prepared, returning about $21 million in tax refunds to local families – many of whom cannot afford professional tax preparation services or may not have the skills to complete tax forms online (if they have an internet connection).
Tax season is just around the corner and we need volunteers – YOU – to help provide free tax preparation to hard-working families at 30+ locations across Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky. Volunteers will walk clients through their taxes, ensuring they receive all the credits they are eligible for.
- A willingness to learn. No previous experience is necessary! We will provide free IRS tax training and certification.
- Basic computer skills. We will train you on how to use our tax filing software, TaxWise.
- Friendliness. As a tax preparer, you will meet a variety of people. We want those people to have a good experience and we also want you to have a good experience as a volunteer.
Work schedules are flexible, with hours available during the day, night or weekends during tax season. Volunteers can also participate as screeners or translators instead of tax preparers.
Why should you volunteer?
- Develop new skills. Unless you’re a certified CPA, you may not have tax prep certification on your résumé. These skills may be beneficial in both your personal and professional lives.
- Meet new people. As mentioned, you will meet a variety of people. You may make new friends and broaden your professional network.
- Support your community. Volunteering can help strengthen your ties with your community and the people within it. What better cause to take on than your own neighborhood.
If you’re interested, register and sign up for one of the information sessions.